As our mission states, William & Mary convenes great minds and hearts to meet the most pressing needs of our time. Your gift to William & Mary is an investment in the education of the next generation of creative thinkers, principled leaders, and compassionate global citizens equipped for lives of meaning and distinction.
Philanthropy is particularly important now as the pandemic creates new economic hardships for our students and their families. Private support provides critical resources to meet our evolving needs, and we are enormously grateful to those in our community who are giving during a time of so much uncertainty.
Key priorities include:
- Scholarships: Gifts to scholarships are one of the most meaningful ways to make a difference for students and the entire university. Many students with financial need have overcome great adversity and worked very hard to arrive at W&M’s door; you have the opportunity to open that door and welcome them in.
- The Fund for William & Mary: Gifts to the fund reach every corner of the university, providing vital resources for William & Mary to be innovative, to seize new opportunities and to provide all students an exceptional educational experience.
- Diversity & Inclusion Initiatives: One of William & Mary’s most cherished values is belonging. As we strive to create a welcoming and caring community that embraces diverse people and perspectives, private support accelerates the pace of change by providing immediate funding for key diversity and inclusion initiatives and programs.
- Capital Projects: Planned capital projects will enhance two beloved William & Mary facilities, Kaplan Arena and the Muscarelle Museum of Art, while expanding William & Mary’s commitment to athletics and the arts through the new William & Mary Athletics Complex and the Arts Quarter.
We are deeply grateful to everyone who contributed to the For the Bold campaign, which not only provided vital expendable funding but also increased our endowments. When a donor creates or gives to an endowment, the principal gift isn’t spent; it’s invested. The annual income from that investment is available to the institution and used in accordance with the donor’s wishes. The vast majority of endowment assets that benefit William & Mary are restricted in purpose and cannot be redirected. Watch Understanding William & Mary’s Finances for more information.
Gifts given to the university by donors are designated at their direction. William & Mary does not decide where the gifts are used. Gifts made to the Fund for William & Mary, however, are unrestricted and allocated by the university to help fund our highest needs and priorities.
Private support continues to play a vital role in securing the university’s financial foundation. The Commonwealth of Virginia provides just 11 percent of the university’s budget. Philanthropy represents approximately 13 percent of William & Mary’s operating budget — with other funding coming from tuition and other sources. To learn more about the university’s finances, watch Understanding William & Mary’s Finances, featuring Amy Sebring, vice president for finance & technology.
Private support is critical to ensuring tuition increases aren’t the only solution to financial challenges the university faces.
We are deeply committed to helping promising students — both in-state and out-of-state — access the distinct brand of education that William & Mary offers through a mix of scholarships and other financial aid support.
To that end, the For the Bold campaign raised $305 million for scholarships, and scholarships continue to be a top priority.
With the U.S. median household income hovering around $68,000, the cost of attending a preeminent university like William & Mary is simply out of reach for many very able students. Your support can help bridge the growing affordability gap and open the doors of opportunity.
- 37% of undergraduates receive need-based aid
- 25% of out-of-state students costs can currently be covered through scholarships
- 10% of W&M student are the first in their family to attend college
To help address tuition costs, the university is fulfilling the William & Mary Promise, which provides vitally needed resources to secure the future of Virginia’s distinctive Public Ivy while enhancing affordability and access for Virginia students.
Key pieces of the Promise include:
- Predictability through a tuition guarantee for incoming Virginians.
- Increased affordability and reduced student debt for middle-income Virginia families.
- Greater efficiency through innovation.
- More resources to recruit and retain superb faculty.
Athletics is an integral part of the educational experience. Our athletes learn to connect with others in innovative ways to overcome differences, to take risks and persevere through adversity with confidence. Our athletes learn leadership skills and make friendships that last a lifetime. A vibrant athletics program enhances the university’s brand, increases diversity and provides powerful experiences for our student-athletes. A successful program attracts and develops elite student-athletes who make a positive impact in a complex and changing world.
Our For the Bold campaign is investment in people. As part of the campaign, several facilities were constructed and renovated — including the McLeod Tyler Wellness Center, Shenkman Jewish Center, Kaplan Arena and the Alumni House — so that our students, faculty, staff and alumni can flourish. These facilities help attract exceptional students to William & Mary and raise the caliber of our infrastructure to match and enhance the caliber of our programs.
There are several different ways to support William & Mary, including making a gift by credit card, check, stocks/securities or real estate. There are also many types of gifts, including recurring/annual gifts, endowments, planned or estate gifts, naming opportunities and gifts in memory or honor of others. Learn more about types of gifts and ways to give.
No matter the method you choose, or the size of your donation, each gift makes a difference for the W&M community. Give now.