“It can be hard for people to know what a university needs most. People know what they want to support and what they care about, but they might not know what a university needs. The fund gives full discretion to the provost to use the money where it is needed most in support of faculty.”
Alan Hilliker ’80
The university’s ability to capitalize on emerging opportunities that fuel growth and innovation depends on unrestricted private support. It allows us to be nimble and to act quickly. It provide seed funding for disciplined experimentation into new, entrepreneurial ventures and makes it possible to advance key priorities that propel the university forward.
Opportunities for Investment
- Fund for W&M Gifts to this fund allow William & Mary to maintain its margin of excellence. By supporting research, curriculum enhancements, student programming and general operating funding, these unrestricted resources advance the pursuit of excellence and ensures William & Mary’s competitive edge.
- Scholarships Impact Fund This flexible, immediate-use fund allows the university to boost financial aid packages each year and reduce the amount of debt students carry to afford the opportunity to attend W&M.
- Impact Funds There are 13 impact funds across W&M, each designated for a particular school or unit. These entities rely on these unrestricted resources to provide support for departments, programs and faculty and to advance educational excellence across the board.
- President’s Strategic Fund, Provost’s Innovation Fund and Deans Innovation Funds These funds provide immediate resources for new, essential undertakings that advance the core mission of the university.
- During the For the Bold campaign, William & Mary made strides in growing unrestricted annual fund dollars — in addition to creating new unrestricted funds — thanks to the generous support of our donors.
- Approximately $6 million has been raised every year since the start of the campaign for the Fund for William & Mary and the Scholarships Impact Fund.
- Other annual giving impact funds have experienced $8 million in total growth since FY12, the beginning of the campaign.
- Last year an anonymous alumna established a President’s Strategic Investment Fund with a $1.5 million gift. This fund has already enabled the president to capitalize on emerging opportunities as they arise. For example, Rowe has strategically invested in a new university entrepreneurship center in One Tribe Square, a comprehensive positioning analysis to elevate William & Mary’s prominence nationally and internationally, as well as a revolving “green” fund that will reduce costs and increase energy efficiencies on campus.